(Formerly known as the Old State Library)
Renovation : $32.0 million
Square Footage: 258,300
Began Construction: March 2003
Construction Completed: April 2005
Dedicated and renamed the Patrick Henry Building on June 13, 2005. The building houses the:
- Governor’s Working Office
- Offices of the Cabinet Secretaries
- Offices for the Virginia Department of Planning and Budget and some offices for the Department of General Services
In 2006 and 2007 the building served as a temporary site for the General Assembly Session while the Capitol was undergoing exterior and interior renovation.
Built in 1939 as one of 34,000 Public Works Administration projects in the nation. The building was originally designed and constructed to house the Virginia State Library and Supreme Court of Virginia.
This building remained occupied until 1996. The Supreme court vacated the building and moved to the renovated and former Federal Reserve Building at Eighth and Franklin Streets in the early 1980s. The Library relocated in 1996 to a new building built at Eighth and Broad Streets and to the new Records Storage Center located in eastern Henrico County.
Renovated Supreme Court Chamber will now serve as the Governor's Conference Room
Scope of Renovation
- Renovation of facility to a modern office building
- Replacement of all building systems
- Repairs to exterior masonry
- Installation of new elevators, windows, roof, waterproofing, fire alarm and sprinkler systems, bathrooms and accessible entrances
- Extensive asbestos and lead paint abatement
- Preservation of the old Supreme Court Chamber and Law Library, entrance lobbies and old Library Reading Rooms